Guelph Sports Hall of Fame nominations
Classification of inductees
There are three classes of induction into the Guelph Sports Hall of Fame:
Eligibility for election
- Any Nominees who by outstanding achievement have attained prominence in any field of sport, or who have made a major contribution to the development and advancement of sport in Guelph, or who have brought honour to Guelph in any field of sport are eligible for election to the Guelph Sports Hall of Fame.
- Nominees must have a connection to Guelph before or after post-secondary school years to be eligible.
- Athletes or other nominees must have concluded their careers for a minimum of five years before their election, except where, by reason of outstanding prominence and skill and upon the request by the Selection Committee, made in advance, the Board of Directors may reduce such waiting period. Notwithstanding the foregoing, an athlete or other nominee who has reached his or her 50th birthday will be eligible for selection without any waiting period whether or not he or she is still active as a competitor. This is in recognition of the fact that many outstanding athletes and officials continue to participate in various sports (golf, tennis, bowling, curling, shooting, etc.,) long after their peak competitive years.
- Nomination made on official nomination form and submitted to the Selection Committee Secretary by the annual deadline will be considered for election by the Selection Committee. Nominations received after the deadline will be held on file for consideration the following year.
- Candidates for election shall be chosen on the basis of playing ability, sportsmanship, character, their contribution to their particular sport, the honour brought to Guelph and to sports generally.
- Nomination forms of nominees not elected to the Hall will be held on file and re-considered for five years from the date of receipt. After five years the nomination form will be placed in an inactive file at the discretion of the Selection Committee and ultimately confidentially disposed of.